July is Smart Irrigation Month — one of the Irrigation Association’s most important sustainability initiatives. For more than 10 years, many individuals and companies within the irrigation industry have worked hard to bring awareness to their customers about smart irrigation practices through Smart Irrigation Month. The engagement from these efforts has been overwhelmingly positive. Over the years, dozens of states and cities have signed proclamations to identify July as Smart Irrigation Month, and the level of nationwide involvement continues to expand year after year.
The challenges facing water supplies are a global concern, with peak water demand varying from country to country. In an effort to spread the message about the benefits of smart irrigation practices, IA’s Smart Irrigation Month Committee is brainstorming ways to bring the initiative to countries all over the world.
While the mission of promoting efficient irrigation continues year-round, Smart Irrigation Month is traditionally celebrated in July. Getting involved can be as simple as adding the Smart Irrigation Month logo to websites, ads and newsletters or highlighting water-saving products and practices. Involvement in this initiative can help to build and retain a loyal customer base and position companies as leaders in smart water stewardship.
From now through July, snap a selfie to show your support for water-use efficiency. Download or print the #SmartSelfie sign from www.smartirrigation.org and take a picture of you supporting water efficiency. Be sure to tag the IA on Facebook (www.facebook.com/irrigationassociation) or Twitter (@IrrigationAssoc) and use the hashtags #SmartIrrigationMonth and #SmartSelfie in your post.
The photo tagged to the IA Facebook page that receives the most likes by July 31 will win a free registration to the 2017 Irrigation Show and Education Conference.
Other opportunities to participate in Smart Irrigation Month include the following:
- Write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper sharing why efficient water use is important to the industry.
- Share a colorful infographic on social media with quick facts about improving irrigation efficiency.
- Place a logo on your website that lets visitors know your company supports smart irrigation.
- Include a note in statements sent to clients with information on how your company is using water-efficient practices.
- Support the initiative by working with local governments to obtain official proclamations declaring July as Smart Irrigation Month.
- Engage local media by issuing press releases about your participation in Smart Irrigation Month.
Visit the Smart Irrigation Month website to download free logos, press releases, activity kits, articles and more.